I didn't mean to confuse this question by showing both formats of the
many-to-many relationship (using secondary and not); I am aware that using
both can lead to problems / inconsistencies.

I just wanted to show that I had both options available at my disposal. Is
there anyway to use the secondary relationship (rather than the association
one) with some combination of cascading options to get what I want where I
can create and use a Geography knowing only its pk without the ORM trying
to then save it to the DB?