OK, take a look at that SQLite commit, where someone else added the
exact same thing for SQLite:

https://github.com/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/commit/62d59088dfe86d7ecabd85ad626ee108b668acc5

the feature for SQL server would look similar, although I've taken a
look at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/json/json-data-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017
and it looks like they don't have a JSON datatype explicitly, just
JSON functions.  we can still work with that but it might be a little
different.

 if you can run tests and stuff, that would be even better, see
https://github.com/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/blob/master/README.unittests.rst
for the basic idea of that.

I've created an issue to track the effort at
https://github.com/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/issues/4384