feel free to test the patch at:

https://gerrit.sqlalchemy.org/c/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/+/1965

this patch includes that if the transaction state at the engine level gets
screwed up, the pool will warn and still make sure it does a real rollback. you
should not see this warning however.

in 2.0, the whole "reset" logic is simplified so that none of this complexity
will be there.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/f6e171e0-a4c9-4642-9823-d2fa559920ab%40www.fastmail.com.