that issue is unfortunately one of the great mythological stories of business
application development, how to configure an application such that the database
credentials are not present in a config file where they can be viewed.

the scope of that issue is way outside of SQLAlchemy and personally I don't
think there is really any feasible solution to that problem - not that the
credentials can't be encrypted, but it implies that there's a decryption key
right nearby, which renders the whole situation basically security theater.
Even if you have some super sophisticated remote-server kind of approach, if an
attacker is on the machine where the software is, the Python code is right
there; they can run whatever routines your Python code uses to get these
credentials into memory and then they have them.

However, anyone that's worked in app dev for more than 5 years has had to deal
with managerial teams that are trying to make it happen and perhaps theater is
all you need. There's a good stackoverflow rundown of the full issue I found at
https://security.stackexchange.com/a/22858 .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/0775f8c2-4dde-45f9-b7af-a9b5b24f9bb1%40www.fastmail.com.