Hi Simon, thanks for the help! I've never used that before, it's quite
handy.

I'm looping through all the students and printing them and their subject
details to a CSV file.
What makes things a tad complicated is the subjects must appear in a
specific order.
There is a table that has the subject code and order number
(ordered_subjects used below is the resultset from it).
I printed out the timing and found the problem to be with a nested for
loop.

I was hoping to reduce that process time by using a map that automatically
gets populated instead of having to create it on the fly.

Before - subjects_collection "attribute_mapped_collection":
for row in students:
    row_no += 1

    for subject in row.subjects:
        student_subjects[subject.code] = subject.value

    csv_row = [row_no]
    csv_row += [student_subjects.get(x.code, '') for x in ordered_subjects]
    csv_row += [row.created_on, row.updated_on]

    writer.writerow([x.encode('utf-8') if type(x) == unicode else x for x
in csv_row])

After adding the subjects_collection "attribute_mapped_collection", I
unfortunately did not see a change in performance.

After - subjects_collection "attribute_mapped_collection":
for row in students:
    row_no += 1
    csv_row = [row_no]
    csv_row += [row.subjects_collection.get(x.code, '').value for x in
ordered_subjects]
    csv_row += [row.created_on, row.updated_on]

    writer.writerow([x.encode('utf-8') if type(x) == unicode else x for x
in csv_row])

class Subject(db.Model):
    __tablename__ = 'subjects'

    student_id = db.Column(db.Integer, db.ForeignKey('students.id'),
primary_key=True)

    code = db.Column(db.String(50), primary_key=True)

    value= db.Column(db.String)

    def __init__(self, code , value):
        self.code = code
        self.value = value

class Student(ResourceMixin, db.Model):
    __tablename__ = 'students'

    subjects= db.relationship('Subject', backref='student')

    id = db.Column(db.Integer, primary_key=True)

    subjects_collection = relationship("Subject",
collection_class=attribute_mapped_collection('code'))

Can you see a way I can optimize this? Any ideas?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/67439e94-2666-402a-a642-7f4e7de8fbffo%40googlegroups.com.