working on that issue but you should also be able to do this right now:

.options(

selectinload(StepModel.actionbases.of_type(ServiceActionModel)).selectinload(ServiceActionModel.service),
    raiseload("*"),
)

that produces more of a LEFT OUTER JOIN with a subquery situation but still
"works"

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sqlalchemy/37438116-8c8f-48fa-8036-0b394245169f%40app.fastmail.com.