On 21-2-2020 02:24, Chip Beaulieu wrote:
I have a table with 4.5 million records with full text indexing. Reads are very
fast, but deleting / inserting  / updating takes on average about 50 seconds
per record. I often do batches of 30,000 deletes / inserts at a time. The last
batch took 10 hours to complete.

Here are the details:

Table Schema:

CREATE TABLE `Verses` (
        `ID`                            integer PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,
        `BibleID`                       integer NOT NULL,
        `Book`                  integer NOT NULL,
        `Chapter`                       integer NOT NULL,
        `VerseNumber`   integer NOT NULL,
        `Scripture`             text,
        `Comments`              text,

I would recommend to not store `Comments` in the same table as `Scripture`, or are you trying to re-write the Bible? 😉

This will avoid the deletion of unchanged data, which is inserted later on.... (only because `Comments` did change?)

--
Luuk