On 22 Feb 2020, at 2:28am, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> When a database is to be created these commands must be given BEFORE any
> command which opens or creates the database:
>
> pragma auto_vacuum
> pragma encoding
> pragma page_size
> pragma data_store_directory
>
> The issuance (or preparation) of ANY OTHER COMMAND will cause a new blank
> database to be created using the values of auto_vacuum, encoding, and
> page_size in effect at the time that command is issued (prepared).

The problem is, Jens points out, that this is not documented.  The
documentation doesn't distinguish between those four PRAGMAs and other PRAGMAs
which stop those four from working.

I've previously suggested that the PRAGMAs should be divided into categories.
Perhaps this should be a new category: those which do not create a database but
have to be done before anything that creates the database.