> On Mar 13, 2020, at 10:22 AM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> On 3/13/20, Huỳnh Trần Khanh <qcdz9r6wpcbh59+subscripti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [On a mailing nlist] I can
>> filter the posts, sort them, search through them, archive them,
>> forward them to a friend, &c.
>
> You can do all of that with the SQLite Forum.  Remember, all content
> is still delivered directly to your in-box, just like with a mailing
> list,

I’m not sure I’d agree with that.  People tend to quote when replying to mail,
even if just one line, to provide context.  That’s a lot less true of the
forums, especially if you’re responding to a one line question or comment on
the message right above yours.   Since the forum emails only quote the new
message, there is much less context in any given message.  Part of why I like
email lists is that they may be old school, but people that use them well make
sure there is very very little state in the conversation.  That’s the exact
opposite with forum posts.

I’m not saying the forum isn’t better for the team, simply that they’re not
equal.  And at the end of the day, forums must be engaged in actively (I need
to go visit it), while email is passive (it comes to me in a media I scan
regularly).  For someone that is largely a lurker these days, it was easy to
just watch messages go by and jump in if needed, having most of the context of
the conversation.  With a forum, the email notifications are much less useful
(and less likely to trigger the “Oh, I know that..” response), and I’m never
going to go visit the forum just to see what’s up.

This might be better for the community, but it largely means I’m out of the
community.  I’m not sure that’s a particular loss for me, or the community, as
I’ve not been very active for a decade or so.

  -j