> way, the mapping table would be the responsibility
> of the pager layer which (up until now) has known
> nothing about the btree layer.  But with this approach,
> the pager layer would need to call the btree layer
> recursively.  Thinking about that is starting to
> make my head spin.

> Does anybody have any other ideas for doing this
> mapping?

Please see my description of the shadow pager in

http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=BlueSky

It does what Ben wants without changing any code above the pager
layer. However, the file format is not compatible, and the design
depends on a single process (but multiple threads). In other words, it
needs a client server architecture for multiple processes or networked
processors. It may be possible to overcome this constraint, but I have
not thought hard about that.

I started coding the shadow pager, but got redirected by paying work.
I may return to it at some point. The design still seems good to me.