From: Puneet Kishor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 06 May 2004 18:59
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [sqlite] vers 3.0 concurrency issues

On May 6, 2004, at 12:24 PM, Steve O'Hara wrote:

> I've been watching the discussion about concurrency with interest.  I
> find
> I'm impressed by everybody's arguments.
>
> I'd too would like to keep SQLite small and fast but equally, I'd like
> have better concurrency.  Even if this is just a safeguard for the
> future.
>
> However, I'm wondering why we're comparing SQLite with kernel based
> RDBMS
> like Oracle etc, and not with it's more closely related cousins such as
> Access ?
>
> In this regard, how does SQLite compare with
> Access/FoxPro/Paradox/dBase ?

I can comment on it from a user/appdeveloper's perspective -- a very
subjective, my perpective.

Things that SQLite can do that Access or FilemakerPro (two I have
worked with) cannot do -- SQLite is fanstastically fast, supports
transactions, and runs identically and equally happily on my Win box at
work and iBook at home... no data conversion, no hassles.

Things that SQLite sucks at (if you pardon the expression) compared to
Access and FMPro -- ALTERing tables is a royal pain in the behind. I am
constantly in need of ALTERing the tables and queries (views) as I am
developing the application, and to do this is just... well, not nice.

So... the real answer to "how does SQLite compare with <choose your
alternative>?" is "it depends."