Jim, all you need to be careful of is the license that accompanies the academic version. Most prevent the author from using the software for "commercial" purposes (that is generally defined within the license).

If you are enrolled in school then you are a student so it wouldn't be dishonest to buy the software at the discounted price. If you intend on developing something to be used commercially just make sure you carefully read the academic license..

--
- Mitchell Vincent
- kBilling - Invoice Software - http://www.k-billing.com