"Ismail Kizir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
17/06/2004 06:48 PM

        To:     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [sqlite] RE: SQLite performance with mid-size databases

> I had the same problem as Richard's.
> Unfortunately, i have decided to use postgres and finally back to mysql.

If you're happy with your current solution, feel free to ignore the rest
of this email. All one can hope for is to be happy with one's present
solution :)

> I have a table of ~300,000 rows of newspaper articles, and its fulltext
> index tables.

Sqlite doesn't support fulltext indexes. I suggest explaining what you
were trying to achieve, and how.

> Table opening time was very high.

There's no such thing as table opening time in sqlite :) What was being
done to sqlite during "table open time"?

> Concurrency -even only for reading- was very very poor.

What was the nature of your concurrent access? Were any writers active?
Did readers use transactions?

> Especially, i observed the linear write time just as Richard did.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. A single insert took O(n) time where
n was the size of the database, or O(n) time where n is the size of the
row data? Was it really O(n), or was it O(log(n)) as modern databases such
as sqlite will normally guarantee? How much data was in the row you were
inserting? How did you measure the linear growth (is this in the archives
somewhere?)?

> I think SQLite is still a good solution for embedded system, but not
even
> for mid-size databases.

I'm using sqlite in heavily-loaded system consisting of database files
that are created over a two-day period. The average database file is about
800 meg. After extensive testing early in the piece I concluded that only
sqlite was suitable. All alternative technoligies I tested were far too
slow for my (now aging) sun hardware. I tested sqlite, postgres, mysql,
and sapdb. Anecdotally, I'd have to say that SQLite is ideal for targeted
mid-size databases.

Benjamin.