Matt Sergeant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Randy J. Ray wrote:
>
>> > (now I just have to work out a release/migration strategy - since a raw
>> > CPAN install will break people's apps).
>>
>> I would suggest renaming it to DBD::SQLite3, since the underlying library
>> itself looks to be embedding "3" into most (if not all) API hooks anyway.
>
> I don't think I'm going to do that. The C function names have changed
> because their prototypes have changed. There's no real reason to change
> the module name except for the upgrade issue.

Don't forget that some users of your package may have databases being accessed
via multiple languages, multiple applications, etc., and it may not be
possible to upgrade the database.  Therefore, they probably need the ability
to continue to use old databases.  That was the reason (not just because of an
API change) that sqlite3 has the '3' appended.  It allows both 2.8.x and 3.0.x
to be installed and usable at the same time.

Derrell