I just finished translating my sqlite2 code into sqlite3 and, hey, it compiles! But it looks like I've still got some work ahead of me..

Here's my first question: what's going on here (from command line sqlite3)?

sqlite> select count(*) from newsgroups where name = 'rec.arts.anime.fandom';
0
sqlite> select count(*) from newsgroups where name like 'rec.arts.anime.fandom';
1

How can a string be like something that has no wildcards, but not equal to it? My hunch is it has something to do with character encoding, but is that really how it should work?

Thanks,
-Dave