Richard,

When you wrote,
   "...as my boss feels that he can't easily alter the database with a GUI
tool"

Is there any chance you meant to type "withOUT a GUI tool" instead?

If so, and if you're on a PC, then the nice utility:
   SqliteExplorer  http://www.sqlite.org/contrib

has the ability to alter sqlite tables.   Just right-click on the table and
choose DESIGN TABLE.   It actually generates the SQL needed to effect your
design changes, but then you're only an EXECUTE button away from
implementing them.

Don't forget to refresh the schema using F5 to see the results.

Most folks, though, would be more than happy to keep their boss from
schema-ing behind their backs.

Donald Griggs
Desk: 803-735-7834

Opinions are not necessarily those of Misys Healthcare Systems nor its board
of directors.