Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this mailing list. I wrote an extension for
SQLite so that it supports encrypted databases. Existing software
based on SQLite with encryption capabilities were either too expensive
for the average non-professional user or did not suit my needs.

http://www.voidbrain.com/sqlitesec.html

The URL above links to the description of the extension. I would like
people to try it out and give me feedback or constructive criticism.
It is still in an alpha stage but my limited tests indicate that the
features that are implemented do work. I would like people to test it
with real (but not production) data and applications. Please read the
webpage and comments in my code carefully.

I believe I did not violate any licenses or copyright since all code I
used was either my own or open-source or in the public domain. If I
did, please let me know and I will take the relevant items down. I
make no claims on the usability of this extension nor on the copyright
of code not written by myself. Specifically I would like to thank
Brian Gladman and David Ireland for publishing their code in the
public domain and I have acknowledged them on my website and in the
code as needed. Of course, I would like to thank D. Richard Hipp, the
SQLite author, for providing the library as well.

I hope that this extension will help SQLite users wanting some level
of transparent encryption in their databases. I plan to make this
open-source after the initial feedback and comments and if there are
no legal problems. I am by no means an expert cryptographer (in fact,
I am just learning cryptography) so there may be security flaws in the
design of the encryption layer. Please help me learn by giving me
constructive criticism and suggestions to improve the code. If there
is enough interest, I may continue working to improve it past the
features that I need for my own database application. Thanks.

WL Low