Bob Gilson wrote:

We believe the disk writes are caused by fcntl(). Its updates to the bits on the file can be has resource consuming as an fsync() or write().

fcntl(F_RDLCK) and fcntl(F_UNLCK) should be adjusting some data structures inside the kernel only. Those calls should *never* modify the disk. What OS are you running?

Also, we can't understand why each select statement has access() and fstat64() calls for each select.

These are to check to see if another process has modified the database since you last read it. They also check to see if another process was in the middle of modifying the database but crashed and thus the partially completed changes need to be rolled back.

--
D. Richard Hipp -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- 704.948.4565