At 1:33 PM -0500 1/21/05, D. Richard Hipp wrote:
Version 3.1.0 (alpha) of SQLite is now available on the website.
Release notes are available from a link on the homepage.
This released is labeled "alpha" but it is still very well
tested.  By being "alpha" it means that there is still a
small window of opportunity during when users can suggest
API changes.  Once we go to beta (in about a week) no more
changes will be accepted.  So if you want to suggest changes,
please do so quickly.

Thanks very much for these improvements. The one that particularly caught my eye was the support for correlated subqueries, which may have been non-trivial to implement.

When you say "API changes" do you also mean supported SQL updates?  If so ...

Something I would still very much like to see is named subqueries, using the SQL-2003/1999 'WITH' clause. Considering that you now support both VIEWs and correlated un-named subqueries, the groundwork is in place that adding 'WITH' support should be very simple, with possibly only the SQL parser needing updates. I'm talking about "WITH subq_name(...) AS (SELECT...) SELECT ...". See 'SQL:2003, 7.13 "<query expression>" (p351)' for format details. This feature carries advantages of temporary views but allows everything to be done in a single SQL statement. Actually, its better than VIEWs since VIEWs can't be correlated. This is also more readable and potentially easier to parse than un-named subqueries, which you already support. Whether or not you also support the 'RECURSIVE' option is less important, but if it is easy to do then I would like that too.

So what is the plausability of including this in 3.1.x soon? (If this won't happen soon without targeted funding, then how much do you need?)

Thank you. -- Darren Duncan