        From: Jay [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Thu 2/24/2005 8:37 PM
        To: Bielik, Robert
        Subject: RE: [sqlite] BLOB problem

        Won't reading multi-megabyte objects through odbc be *horribly* slow?
        If you're not searching the contents of the blob it's probably better
        stored as files with a path in the database instead.

        --- "Bielik, Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        > Thanks Richard,
        >
        > Ah, I see. Well I did use those functions in the ODBC driver to make
        > writing a blob work. However, my
        > current problem is reading the blob. As long as there is no null
        > bytes it works. But I'm very unsure of the
        > calling sequence. Ok, say I got a table:
        >
        > create table T_GENERICDATA (ID INTEGER, DATA BLOB);
        >
        > and I want to get to a row by select:
        >
        > select ID,DATA from T_GENERICDATA where ID=(?)
        >
        > Now the ? will be replaced by %Q by the ODBC driver
        > (sqlite3_vmprintf), so the resulting SQL string
        > put into sqlite3_prepare will be 'select ID, DATA from T_GENERICDATA
        > where ID='1' ' (if ID param was 1).
        > Ok so far so good. Then what? Should I call sqlite3_step or
        > sqlite3_column_blob... ?
        >
        > Eh.. pretty confused...
        >
        > TIA
        > /Rob

        =====

        "Lord Tarlington gazed upon the crazed Egyptian hieroglyphics on the
walls of the ancient tomb of the petrified pharaoh, he vowed there would be no
curse on him like on that other Lord, unless you count his marriage to Lady
Tarlington who, when the lost treasure was found, will be dumped faster than
that basket in the bulrushes."
          Melissa Rhodes