thank you a lot for the feedback. It is not only Windows using advisory locking and aborting other reads, it is the same with Mac OS X using AFP volumes or a Samba CIFS volume mount on a Linux client. I understand the problem and consider to add a ".backup" command to the sqlite shell to backup a running database.

I still believe it is an good idea to move the lock range outside of the file range e.g. 0xffffffffffff0000. Word/Excel using as well a locking in high area for simple interprocess communication about the current Word/Excel file.

Helmut Tschemernjak