> > > I think the gist was that the software couldn't have a disclaimer
> > > of liability if it is public domain, and so anyone could sue the
> > > author if something went wrong when using it.  I don't know how
> > > true this is or not, but would like to see it addressed in the answer.
> >
> > I believe I have heard something like that as well.
> >

> Sounds like a folk legend to me.

The idea is that there's no quid pro quo, and therefore
no contract, when you place something in the public
domain. If you have a license, you can require the user
to accept the software as-is in return your letting him
use it, and by using the software he implicitly accepts
the terms of the contract. Some lawyers apparently think
that using PD software does not imply acceptance of any
attached disclaimer. This was discussed briefly in an
article on licenses in Linux Journal some months ago.

On the other hand, I've never heard of any problem in
this regard. The Icon programming language (which is
under appreciated and under used) has been in the public
domain for 20 or 30 years, and I don't think they've
ever had such a problem, in spite of a buggy release or
two.

Regards