SQLite stores text as UTF-8 - this is the default and it can be changed to
UTF16, but you would probably encounter similar problems.

"ü" is the UTF-8 representation of "ü" - to retrieve and display the German
Umlaut you must decode the UTF-8 encoded text to its Unicode representation.
For more on Unicode and UTF-8, see http://www.unicode.org.

I have written a SQLite database explorer named SQLiteSpy which displays UTF-8
encoded SQLite databases including German Umlauts. SQLiteSpy is available for
free from

  http://www.yunqa.de/delphi/sqlitespy/

You can also uses SQLiteSpy to enter Umlauts as SQL and they will be
automatically encoded as appropriate (UTF-8 or UTF-16) and stored in your
database.

Regards,

Ralf