On Jul 20, 2005, at 1:15 PM, R S wrote:

Actually I deduced the file size is not really the problem.

After reaching 6 mill records, I ran a simple query asking for the
last 50 records from my app.
Using strace I figured that the DB is actually running thru *all the
records* to return me the last 50 and while doing that it locked the
DB! Maybe I constructed my query wrong????
It looks something like this:

select fields from table order by id desc limit 50;

try

SELECT fields
FROM table
WHERE id > (MAX(id) - 50)
ORDER BY id DESC

or something like above. Assumption is that your id field is indexed and all.

I have never quite understood these LIMIT commands... how they would LIMIT without running the entire query anyway. If you want to constrain, the constrain should really be in the WHERE clause.