On Aug 20, 2005, at 1:38 PM, D. Richard Hipp wrote:

There might be a bug.  If SQLite sees a file that is less
than 1024 bytes in length, it might assume (mistakenly) that
it is empty and then overwrite it.  I'll have to check on
that.  If it does, this should be considered a bug.

Yes. That was it. I even traced this through the code in SQLite and figure out it was files that were less than 1024 bytes that were the problem. I think I posted something to the mailing list, but perhaps I never filed a bug report. Sorry about that.