Thank you all for your answers and direction for further information. Hopefully, I will not bring these subjects up again. :)

John

On 11/21/2016 09:29 AM, John R. Sowden wrote:
First of all, I come from the dBASE/Foxpro world. There is no distinction between a table and a database. I understand that with Sqlite a database includes tables and other items. The scenario that I do not understand, is: say I have a log file with about 7 fields totaling about 80 characters per record. How do I name the database and table. Currently I say log16 for the year 2016.

Secondly, I have 2 "front ends" for Sqlite on my Ubuntu 16.04 computer. Neither one allows me to set the length of the text fields in the table creation process. How does the Sqlite know how long each record should be, same with integers.

No help found in the documentation on the Sqlite web site.

John