> On Nov 23, 2016, at 12:45 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
> Are you checking the value returned by each call to the SQLite API to make
> sure it's SQLITE_OK ?

Yes. As I said, the error is returned from sqlite3_step(), but it doesn’t
specify _what_ file couldn’t be opened. That’s the information I’d like to know.

> SQLite can make up temporary indexes if it needs to search or sort and
> there's no index already handy.  If there's no obvious command that causes
> this it's probably optimizing a "JOIN ON" or "ORDER BY".

I showed the query in the previous message; it's a very simple insert, of the
form “INSERT INTO tbl (a, b, c) VALUES (?, ?, ?)”. And this statement has
already been run thousands of times before, so it’s not clear why it would fail
this time.

—Jens