Florian Weimer wrote:
On 11/24/2016 10:41 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
As a
compromise you could use SQLightning, which replaces SQLite's Btree
layer with LMDB. Since LMDB *does* allow readers that don't block
writers.

How does it do that?  Does LMDB perform lock-free optimistic reads and
retroactively verifies that the entire read operation was consistent? The web
page currently says that “readers need write access to locks and lock file”:

  <http://lmdb.tech/doc/>

Readers are lock-free/wait-free. Since LMDB uses MVCC readers get their own fully isolated snapshot of the DB so no retroactive verification is needed.

The restriction on opening the database twice within the same process is
something which we would have to work around, too.

I see you are working on eliminating the key size limit, which is nice.

Yeah, should be available in a month or so in 1.0 release candidates.

--
  -- Howard Chu