On 1/11/17, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> If you omit the ORDER BY clause, then the SQL database engine (*any*
> engine, not just SQLite) is free to return the rows in whatever random
> order it chooses.  And it does not need to explain itself when it
> does.  :-)

For years I have threatened to make it a feature of SQLite that it
really does output the rows in some random order if you omit the ORDER
BY clause - specifically to expose the common bug of omitting the
ORDER BY clause when the order matters.  I have so far resisted that
impulse because it makes testing harder.  But this email thread makes
me think that such a feature really would be worth the trouble of
adding.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org