Thanks Richard and Simon for your insights. I think I'm still missing
a few things, though.

1. What does it mean when SQLite tries to create an index on a string?
Simon suggested that it's creating a calculated index, but I'm not
sure what means. (Does it just mean an "index" literally just on the
word "yearz_doesnt_exist"? That seems quite silly.) My assumption is
that a calculated index is just an index on a view or some other kind
of dynamically rendered column, but according to
http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/Computed-column-or-create-index-on-a-view-td89442.html,
SQLite doesn't support indexes on views.

2. And regardless, why is there a different result when using single
quotes vs. double quotes?

--
Ersin Y. Akinci -- ersinakinci.com