On 2017-02-14 4:46 PM, Richard Hipp wrote:
<rant> This is yet another reason why I say "threads are evil".  For
whatever reason, programmers today think that "goto" and pointers and
assert() are the causes of all errors, but threads are cool and
healthful.  Entire programming languages are invited (I'm thinking of
Java) to make goto and pointers impossible or to make assert()
impossible (Go) and yet at the same time encourage people to use
threads.  It boggles the mind.... </rant>

There is nothing inherently wrong with threads in principle, just in how some people implement them. Multi-core and multi-CPU hardware is normal these days and is even more the future. Being multi-threaded is necessary to properly utilize the hardware, or else we're just running on a single core and letting the others go idle. The real problem is about properly managing memory. Also giving sufficient hints to the programming language so that it can implicitly parallelize operations. For example, want to filter or map or reduce a relation and have 2 cores, have one core evaluate half the tuples and another evaluate the other half, and this can be implicit simply by declaring the operation associative and commutative and lacking of side-effects or whatever. -- Darren Duncan