On 1 Mar 2017, at 12:29am, Matthew Ceroni <matthewcer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Appreciate the reply. I just found it odd that busy_timeout is set to 0 (so
> fail immediately) considering the intermediary PENDING stage. That stage is
> essentially useless with the default busy timeout of 0 no?

Only if its first attempt at grabbing the lock fails.  Which, even when you
have many threads/processes accessing the database is rare.

But yes, a value of 0 for that setting does look a little strange.  But I can’t
think of a default which would work well for all setups, and having the default
be zero forces programmers to learn about the setting and think about what the
best value would be for their setup.

Simon.