On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 8 Mar 2017, at 1:46pm, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to aggregate the sum of the size per-parent, from 1KB, to each
> > range
> > from low to 8*low (i.e. [low, 8*low)), but w/o having to write my hand
> all
> > possible
> > combination, with extra points for formatting the range bounds in KB, MB,
> > GB as appropriate.
>
> Does your programming language allow you to implememnt a SQLite external
> function which takes a value and returns a string indicating which range
> its in ?
>
> This would allow you to implement triggers on INSERT and UPDATE which
> automatically set a 'category' field in the table.  Then you could filter
> on value, or use GROUP BY, or other things.

Same constraints of the "thousand separator" one, this will be a view in a
DB to be viewed by any SQLite client, so not allowed here. --DD

PS: will be allowed the day SQLite embeds a lightweight programming
language and allows defining "persistent" User Defined Functions in the DB
itself, in a sqlite_functions table for example :)