On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> > I’m curious about binding as an idea. [...]
> [...] The EXEC SQL interface has all but disappeared in most languages
> [...]

Oracle still supports https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro*C
but that's pure client-side, while it seems your early EXEC SQL
"precompilers"
were both client-side *and* server-side.

An advantage of Pro*C is that it checks at pre-compilation-time the SQL text
against the schema of the database. But that's also it's downfall, since no
one
wants to ties its CI and builds in general to contacting an Oracle
database, nor
is it necessarily practical to have the schema your targeting instantiated
server-side.

A big inconvenience is that other software tools (like IDEs, linters,
etc...) don't like
"embedded DSLs" in a "foreign language" compared to the "host" language.
--DD

PS: I write the above, but then my CI runs unit tests against Oracle, so
that's not that different :)