> On May 9, 2017, at 4:21 AM, Hick Gunter <h...@scigames.at> wrote:
>
> You may store any sequence of bytes in a BLOB, but please do not expect a
> data storage layer library to handle opaque objects.

This sounds like a typo? I definitely _do_ expect a data storage library to
handle opaque/binary objects.

> If you do need to see inside a blob, use the HEX() function to convert it to
> a readable form.

It has always annoyed me that the CLI just dumps blobs directly to stdout. At
best it’s unreadable garbage, and at worst it outputs escape sequences that
mess up the terminal window’s settings. My schema stores a lot of binary data,
and if I’m in the CLI and forget a “hex(…)” wrapper in a SELECT statement,
sometimes I have to close the window to recover from purple-on-blue text :-p

IMO, blobs in the output should be either partially or fully escaped. If there
is somehow a reason for letting the CLI output raw binary, then at least add a
setting for how to output blobs, defaulting to partially-escaped.

—Jens