SQLite is primarily an _embedded_ database library. In that use case, comments
on the schema properly belong in the program that creates the database, next to
the sqlite3_exec("CREATE TABLE…”) calls.

I realize that when SQLite is being used as a command-line DBM tool, having
comments in the schema itself would be useful. But this is a minority use case.

As someone who uses SQLite in mobile and IOT app development, I really do not
want features in the core — increasing its size, complexity and potential for
bugs — that are not of use for embedded databases.

—Jens