On 29 Jun 2017, at 8:01pm, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:

> We wouldn’t have needed the term “octet” if “byte” always meant “8 bits”.

The terms "octet" and "decade" were prevalent across Europe in the 1970s.
Certainly we used them both when I was first learning about computers.  My
impression back then was that the term "byte" was the American word for "octet".

The web in general seems to agree with you, not me.  It seems that a word was
made of bytes, and bytes were made of nybbles, and nybbles were made of bits,
and that how many of which went into what depended on which platform you were
talking about.  This contradicts my computing teacher who taught me the "by
eight" definition of "byte".

Simon.