> Le 22 juil. 2017 à 08:14, Gwendal Roué <gwendal.r...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Still, I feel that static strings are a weird way to define keys. For
> example, value subtypes in SQLite have the same requirement of needing
> "unique subtype identifiers", and those subtypes are, today, ints. Not
> strings compared with strcmp(). Is there anything special with pointer
> functions that have them require something different than ints for
> identifying pointers?

Answering my own question: with int keys, it would be very easy to implement
"interfaces that provide access to pointers of any type the user wants", that
Richard does not want to support. Static strings indeed are a way to lock the
API to "narrowly defined purposes".

OK, I'm good :-) Thanks a lot for your explanations, Richard!

Gwendal Roué