As far as a use case, something like this would be great for use in the CLI for
example. Sometimes I'll run a query expecting a dozen results only to get page
after page scrolling by. Having something akin to "select changes();" that
returns an instant answer of how many were selected would be great, as opposed
to re-running the whole query as a "select count(*) from (original query);" Or
something like the .changes option that would show a final line of "selected:
123,456 rows"

Side note: The page after page of unexpected results scrolling by is why I'd
love a ctrl-c event in the CLI that stops the current query but keeps the
connection open. If I've attached a few databases and populated a handful of
temp tables then it's a choice of getting some coffee while all the results
scroll by, or killing it and spending the same time re-populating the temp
tables. There's no way to just stop the query and keep the CLI open. (That I'm
aware of anyway)