Are there any plans to implement merge joins in sqlite? As far as I am aware,
only nested loops are currently supported.

Merge joins could be an incredible optimization in some cases for large queries
and would make sqlite much faster in such cases.

Personally, I would like to have this option rather as a sql HINT, than as an
optimizer option, since the optimizer now, small and efficient as it is, does a
great job. The merge join HINT could be used to greatly optimize specific
queries - i.e. queries where poking the index many many times on an already
ordered set is inefficient.