On 21/12/2017 17:13, E.Pasma wrote:
Now I see the difference between UNION and UNION ALL in recursion. It is documented as below. Although it needs careful reading to understand that UNION effectively eliminates loops.

Having a PostgreSQL background, I cannot recommend its SQL documentation
enough. The section on CTE explains how they are evaluated very well.
While it contains a few PostgreSQL-specific stuff (such as arrays), it
may be inspiring for users of other SQL products as well:

   https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/queries-with.html

There are, in particular, specific examples on how to deal with cycles.

Life.