What operating system are you using, and what software are you using to do
the import?  What specificially are you trying to import?
If you perform a sequence of 'insert' statements, then that can be time
consuming - its better to incorporate them into one 'transaction' - sqlite
bundles the operations into one big operation.  This is better IO wise - it
performs far less writes to the disk, etc.  But understanding the methods
you're using so far would be helpful.