> Best is to define type on output

Yes, looks that way. As you can see the alias can help, eg:
select max(integer_date_column) as integer_date_column

what I also added is coding to pick up the intended formatting from the
alias, not from the column but by just specifying the output datatype:
select max(integer_date) as int_date

All this is only needed if sqlite3_column_decltype produces null.
Looks kind of sorted now, thanks.

RBS