On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Eric Grange <egra...@glscene.org> wrote:

> So the order by is used to control the insertion order, so that the RANK
> autoinc primary key ends up with natural rank order

But then, if your range queries are based on a rank derived from value, why
not index value directly?
You'd still get fast range queries based on values, no? That probably
forces you app to maintain a
mapping from "rank" to values, but you don't need to know all ranks, just
the few necessary to know
where to "page" from, no? (assuming I'm guess what you use rank for
correctly).

SQLite then maintain that index automatically, no? I'm probably missing
something though. Sounds too simple... --DD