>Are you the developer / maintainer of the SQLite shell?

THE developer is D Richard Hipp.  He is the decisionmaker and principal
developer of the SQLite releases originated from sqlite.org.  For all
practical purposes, that is the official release.

On the other hand, because of the open license, anybody can make changes
their copy of the SQLite which best traverse the critical paths of their
own project(s).  There are also extension interfaces which enable writing
native target code that is forward compatible with later releases of
SQLite.  Wrapping your own native code in those extension interfaces is the
best way to implement special features for a project/product.

Speaking of critical paths, it seems that my question uncovered some
critical paths you weren't aware of.  To assume your application will run
everywhere without a supporting technology (or your own code) which tests
such a guarantee is a mistake.   SQLite shell makes no such guarantee.

My advice would be to figure out all of your project's critical paths
before plunging into development - except for the narrowest possible
development required to figure out a critical path.

Peter