On 19 Jan 2018, at 4:26pm, Hannah Massey <hannah.bea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will #pragma uncommitted work in WAL mode and will it have the effect I'm
> looking for (where the read will be faster because it can ignore the
> recently written information in the WAL File) and simply use the database
> file only?

The command you’re talking about is

        PRAGMA read_uncommitted = boolean

You may find you don’t need it.  Switch to WAL mode and try it without that
PRAGMA.  It works more or less the way you described: one connection can write
while other read, and nothing will block anything else.

Pay a lot of attention to how many connections you’re using.  You might want
one connection for the writing, and another for all the reading threads.  Or
you might want separate connections for the reading threads too.  Testing
various approaches will let you find the solution which best suits your
programming and timing requirements.

Simon.