On 25 Jan 2018, at 5:55am, Nick <haveagoodtime2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The one thing that bothers me the most is that I have no way to check my
> code, as there is a testvfs in sqlite test. So could you please review my
> train of thought about my wal+mmap? (Map file when opening it and do not
> truncate the file)

That is way beyond my area of competence.  I’m not a good C programmer.  But
there are other people on this list who are.

> By the way, is there a possibly way to submit patch to sqlite?

Although SQLite is 'open source' it's not your typical open source project.
Almost all the code in SQLite was written by a small development team.  The
team tends to accept development ideas from the outside (e.g. this list) and
write the code themselves rather than to accept code written outside the team.
This allows them to enforce a consistent programming style and to ensure code
is not copied from other projects under licence.  In fact it's a problem if you
show them your code since they then might be accused of copying it.  (Not to
accuse you personally of copying code, I'm just layout out the general
principle.)

There’s also a requirement of usefulness vs. code size.  One of SQLite's
jealously-guarded advantages is that it's tiny.  It has to fit in embedded
processors, on phones, and in various hand-held devices with very limited
space.  SQLite doesn’t add size to the project just because it’s easy, or
because someone wrote the code and it works.  It adds it because it would be
useful to a lot of users.  I've had an SQL-conformance change neglected because
even though SQLite would conform more closely to SQL it wouldn't allow users to
do anything more.

If you find your new facility useful then you can use it yourself, by
maintaining your own fork.  But a minor speed improvement for a single
platform, dependent on an OS facility, may not get integrated into the main
projects.

Sorry if I have disappointed you.

Simon.