Thanks for the replies.

Allowing non-aggregate columns in aggregate queries is very useful, as
shown with the min/max functions.

Probably with this feature comes that SQLite even allows all non-aggregate
columns in SELECTs with GROUP BY. Perhaps the documentation should warn
more clearly, that in this case only one arbitrary row in each group is
returned, not all the rows that the WHERE filter lets through.

More useful would perhaps be, to return in this case (only non-aggregate
columns but a GROUP BY)  all rows, just grouped together is indicated by
the GROUP BY. This would have a similar effect as an ORDER BY, but they are
somewhat different if I look at the syntax diagrams. I have no idea how
feasible it would be to get SQLite doing this.