1.  I use an old version of xerial with Aejaks for an on-line voting system.
2.  I started around 2010, and updated only once, in order to get the
backup command (greatly simplifying my process).
3.  My only issue is paranoia about breaking something, which keeps me from
doing further updates.
4.  None. After learning how to use it I have had no problems.

Gerry Snyder