In 2008 I was part of a project which was mostly DB driven using Sybase
12.5. Sybase neither had support for user functions nor window functions &
many other features, which other contemporary RDBMS had and same arguments
was thrown why you need user functions or window functions if both can be
accomplished by stored procedures. Version 1 release (early 2009) ended up
with around 200 tables, 250 views and roughly 600 stored procs.

Now after 10 years Sybase 15.7 has introduced user functions (and many other
new features) saying it reduces TCO/time-to-market. Now my same application
has grown to 500 tables, 410 views and 2600 stored procs. Most of these
procs are repetitive codes with hard to read complex SQL written by
developers mostly accomplishing reporting needs that grew in years (as
application stabilized). And looking at those procs I can very clearly say
that these are nothing but workarounds cooked to achieve what window
functions provide in very easy to implement manner to developers. Every now
and then we keep getting alerts that one of the proc is non performing or
slow etc.

I would love to see window function (before I die) being introduced in
SQLite to reduce TCO because these output are anyhow being written in java,
python or wherever if not in SQLite SQL, how its reducing the overall space
footprint in android, I am not sure. 10 lines of window function can be
achieved by 100 lines of CTE based SQL and if you do not have developers
with SQL inclination they end up writing same in one language or the other.
Think of testing effort that goes in verifying these codes.

Everything in computer can done by machine/assembly codes, then why to use
Java or C (its simplicity).

-- Abstraction_(computer_science)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction_(computer_science)>